Today you will discover how to Choose the Perfect Kids Toothpaste!
As if life alone was not tough enough considering all the decisions one has to make on a daily basis, life as a parent is even tougher.
Not only are you responsible for the safety of a child, but you are also supposed to make smart decisions which will help you keep them healthy.
In short, parenthood is all about making decisions which will serve both the child and you well in the long run.
Choosing the Best Kids Toothpaste
Choosing the perfect toothpaste for tiny mouths is one such decision; since toothpaste’s for adults can be too harsh for a child’s mouth, it is essential that you find toothpaste made especially for children. Now if only the decision was as simple as that, you would easily pick one up form the thousands of brands available in the market.
Choosing the right kids toothpaste is essential since picking up the wrong one can have adverse affect on your child’s teeth, not to mention make them ill.
What You Need to Consider When Choosing Toothpaste for Kids
Here are some of the things you need to consider when choosing toothpaste for kids:
1. A lot of the toothpastes sold today might say they are safe for kids, but that might not be the case. Most brands have very harsh abrasives which could irritate the inner lining of a child’s mouth or be too harsh on their tooth’s enamel. It is true that abrasive’s in a toothpaste clean plaque and get rid of food stains, but a child’s teeth could be damaged by it. Therefore make sure to choose a toothpaste with mild abrasives.
2. A lot of children suffer from a sensitivity from SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate). This is a very common ingredient in toothpastes of all kinds. Due to the sensitivity, it could cause mouth ulcers in the child’s mouth, so try choosing a toothpaste for kids that does not have SLS as a main ingredient(1).
3. Adults are capable of spitting out excessive toothpaste when and after brushing to avoid getting too much Fluoride into their system, resulting in Fluorosis. Kids are not so experienced at doing this; this is why find a toothpaste that is Fluoride Free. It would also help if you started encouraging your kids to spit out toothpaste from a young age.
4. Even if your child has learnt to spit out the toothpaste, it is best to buy them an Enamel Saver Toothpaste. Such toothpaste’s are SLS-free, do not contain harsh abrasives and offer lots of good fruity flavors.
5. When it comes to flavored toothpaste, it is important to never force kids to take a flavored toothpaste they don’t like, since this might turn them off from brushing their teeth completely. Make sure you involve them in choosing the flavor they want in order to make them feel secure in their decision and able to own it.
6. And in the end, after choosing the perfect toothpaste for your child. Make sure you choose the right kind of tooth brush as well, since if the brush bristles are too hard, it might again damage the kid’s gums. So buy a soft bristles tooth brush to go with the perfect kids toothpaste and there you have it, a child ready to dig his teeth into a happy, healthy life.
I hope you find this article helpful in choosing the perfect kids toothpaste for you children and makes life just a little bit easier for you as a parent.